About the job
Commissioning Editor – Australian Geographic Books
Australian Geographic is seeking a part-time experienced commissioning editor for its book publishing division.
Three flexible days per week.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Australian Geographic captures the essence and spirit of Australia through its meticulously crafted and beautifully presented stories and photography in print and online.
Our team of journalists, photographers and editors seek to inspire, inform, explain, and entertain, creating a love and a connection to Australian landscapes, plants and animals, science, industry, and people.
Australian Geographic Books
Australian Geographic Books publishes a small book list with up to 10 titles per year. These reflect our recognised brand pillars, natural history, geography, travel & adventure, environment, science, culture and history. We publish high quality, beautifully illustrated publications that appeal to a broad audience across all age ranges. We are looking for a passionate, creative, motivated individual with flair and excellent communication skills, and a wide network of industry contacts, to lead our book publishing program into the future.
We enjoy wide and ever-expanding distribution through retail partners such as QBD Books (AG concessions within 80 stores nationally) and others.
The Australian Geographic brand is active across all channels both traditional and digital. At the heart is the iconic Australian Geographic magazine and our charity arm, The Australian Geographic Society which focuses its efforts on environmental and species conservation activities.
Australian Geographic is in a growth phase with exciting new brand extensions launching before Christmas.
Person specification and job description
Key Skills required
- Experience as a commissioning editor in a book publishing organisation
- Text editing skills
- excellent written, verbal and time management skills
- contract negotiation skills
- project management and planning
- strong commercial instincts
- financial management and budgeting
- Manage multiple and conflicting deadlines
- keeps up to date with trends in hard copy and online publishing
- identifies future markets and new products
- evaluates book proposals and manuscripts
- manages relationships with contributors
- Have a passion for nature and adventure, and a love of the outdoors
- Ability to work well under pressure
Part-time 3-4 days a week
- Reporting to the Commercial Manager/Editorial Director, you will initiate ideas for new publications, find new authors and manage the processes throughout.
- The Commissioning Editor will be tasked with creating a strong publisher’s list, working with all Stakeholders.
- Develop ideas for publications and identify suitable authors
- Liaise with external talent
- Identify trends and propose commercially viable books, products and other types of content.
- Identify new markets
- Prepare publishing proposals & financials
- Issue contracts to authors and agents
- Make decisions on reprinting, revising or retiring publications
- Efficiently manage the production schedule and meet all deadlines.
- Manage internal marketing plans, working closely with internal stakeholders
- Proficiency in all applications like Microsoft Office, Excel and Adobe Indesign and other creative suite apps where applicable.
If you believe you are the right person for this role, please email your resume (not more than two pages of A4) with a covering letter addressing the set criteria.
Send application to: [email protected]